Tourists and visitors can claim refund on VAT paid on purchases they made during their stay in the UAE. Recovery of payment will be done through a fully integrated electronic system which connects retailers registered in the ‘Tax Refund for Tourists Scheme’ with all ports of entry and exit from the UAE
How to shop Tax Free?
1. The tourist makes an eligible purchase.
2. The shop assistant captures information from the tourist’s
Passport or GCC National ID card using the solution (this
should be the same Passport or GCC National ID that was used
to enter the UAE).
3. The shop assistant enters the transaction purchase price.
4. The Tax Free Tag is attached to the back of the sales
5. The Tax Free Tag is scanned to link the transaction with the
tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID card.
6. You must validate your claim at the Validation Point when
leaving the UAE.
How to validate your goods ?
1. Before you check in your luggage, take the goods and tagged receipt to Planet’s Validation Point.
2. Scan or enter your passport number or GCC National ID card.
3. Follow the instructions on screen, and if you get a green light, you’ve completed the validation process.
4. If you get a red light, contact one of our Planet staff who are standing next to the validation point for help.
5. Choose your preferred refund method – credit/ debit card or cash.
6. Planet processes the refund.
“If choosing cash refund, the maximum refund amount is AED 7,000/- per tourist. Any additional value over this amount must be paid to a credit/debit card.”
Process to avail – Tourist Tax Refund
You must purchase from a retailer who has registered for “Tax Refund Scheme for Tourist”.
You must present a valid passport upon request of Tax refund for every purchase.
A Tax-Free tag will be issued by the retailer for the receipt.
You must keep all receipts with the Tax-Free tag on the back of the receipt and must validate the transaction at the point of exit during departure (airport). Visit the Planet validation point: For airports, this is before checking in and going through security.
Finally, present your receipts or tax invoice with Taxfree Tag, credit cards you used to make the purchase and passport at the validation point to confirm your refunds. You will be refunded through your credit cardor cash.
One of the following refund statuses will then be shown :
1) Issued – Your Tax Free Tag has been issued by the store, but you have not yet validated it at one of the exit points
2) Export validated – Your refund is either: Ready to be collected if you selected “cash”, or is on its way if you selected “card”
3) Waiting for goods validation – Goods must be inspected at the validation point before leaving the UAE.
4) Payment in progress – Your refund is being processed and will be sent to your debit or credit card provider within three weeks days of validation.
5) Paid – Your refund has been issued to your card, or paid to you in cash.
6) Cancelled – Your Tax Free Tag has been cancelled, which could be due to a number of reasons.
7) Declined – Your Tax Free Tag has been declined after inspection, which could be due to a number of reasons.
How much time do I have to complete the procedure?
Your Tax Free Tag needs to be validated within 90 days of the purchase date. For instance: a form issued on 1st of April should be validated by 29th of June. If this is not done, the Tax Free Tag expires, and the refund cannot be claimed.
How to track your Tax Refund?
1. Open your smartphone’s camera app.
2. Point it at the QR code on the Tax Free tag.
3. Open the URL link that appears on your smartphone’s web browse.